August 1, 2006

Reading

I love reading. I love books. I love reading books.

That being said, I need a place to keep all my book-ish things, and I’ve decided to deem this page the book page. Here I'm listing recommendations for your reading pleasure, challenges I'm working on, my book club news, and my complete bookshelf. Enjoy!


Looking for a good read? Try one of these:

My Antonia by Willa Cather
Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
A Room with a View by E.M. Forster
The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
The Boy Next Door by Meg Cabot
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

Still looking for more recommendations? Try here.


Reading is a challenge!


Read the post here.
Ends: December 1, 2009.

1. Looking for Alaska by John Green (Printz Award)
2. The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (Newberry Medal) 7.26
3. The Hours by Michael Cunningham (Pulitzer Prize)
4. Gilead by Marilynne Robinson (Faulkner Award)
5. The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (Booker Prize)


Join the challenge here.
Ends: January 15, 2010.
Challenge level: Bite on the neck.

1. Sunshine by Robin McKinley
2. The Hollow Kingdom by Clare Dunkle
3. A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth Bunce


Join the challenge here.
Ends: May 16, 2010.
Challenge level: The Shallow End.

1. Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes
2. ?


Join our book club!


I run an online book club, and we are always looking for new members! We read all kinds of books and are open to all genres. Every month we discuss the book we read the previous month, read a book for the current month, and vote on a book for the next month. And we find time to talk about book recommendations and ourselves in between. If you'd like to join (the website is private) please email me at cambookclub@gmail.com.

To give you a taste, so far we've read the following:

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
These Is My Words by Nancy Turner
The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
Three Cups of Tea by Mortenson & Relin
Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Shaffer & Barrows
Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
~